onback On Back

The start of hashing in High Wycombe



The first High Wycombe HHH hash took place on 5th March 1991, as a result of Mike and Gill Gilby moving to High Wycombe having run with the Cheshire HHH for 200 runs or so.

On his first half a dozen runs with Cheshire he had met and ran with Robin Higgons, who subsequently moved to Haddenham. Robin had had no success in making contact with a hash that ran one night of the week all year (as we do) since the hashes in the area all run weeknights in the summer and Sundays during the winter. Being a "BUSY" marketing director he claimed that he had no time to start his own and had given up hope of ever hashing again. Then Mike and Gill moved to the area and the Cheshire GM told him of their arrival. After a bit of arm twisting on his part, he managed to convince Mike to start the HWH3 and declare himself the GM.

The GM

So on the 5th March Mike set the first HWH3 trail of 5 miles, and following Cheshire HHH's tradition it was set with white loo paper with false trails at every check. Then on that fateful day 5 hashers plus Halley (the Hash dog) turned up at the Stag and Huntsmen at Hambleden and made the inaugural run. The inauguration Hash run numbered five hashers - Mike & Jill Gilby, Robing Higgons, Jiff 'Aussie' Fletcher and Paul Clark.


The numbers hardly changed over the next couple of months but people changed and some earliest runners were Robert Martyr, Jim 'Raiser' Bradley and Gerry 'Porky' Palmer plus occasional visits from Gill Gilby during school holidays. The numbers remained static at around eight or so for a long time with people coming and going. Gill then decided "sod this!" and arranged to have every Tuesday evening off for hashing.

Then the hash was put on the WWW and suddenly we had a surge of numbers and we now run with a steady average of thirty runners. What makes the hash a good bunch to run with is the fact that we are evenly divided between the sexes (some possibly more so than others) and our ages cover a wide band from 18 to 75.


Mike Gilby

And so it went on, very happily for many, many years, gradually growing from the original 8 into the mid twenties in the summer, and a few less on the long, cold, dark winter nights. Sadly GM Mike Gilby died from a heart attack in April 2004. He was on a hash and, in best hashing tradition, outside a pub on the way around. Now, on the last Tuesday of Every April we hold a memorial Hash from the pub.

Mike Gilby

David Griffiths

David Griffiths assumed the GM mantle. His hobbies are shouting, making speeches and singing incredibly rude rugby songs. Oh, and making speeches.

We currently run with between 30-40 in the summer and in the high twenties over the winter. We are a friendly bunch and have a series of social events and the odd weekend away - mainly, of course, to give David the chance to make more speeches.

David Griffiths

February 2010 saw our 1000th run (March 5th 2011 will see out 20th anniversary hash). We celebrated with a red dress run where we collected 1550 pounds for the Haiti appeal and had a bash in the evening where, somewhat predictably, the GM made a plethora of speeches that everybody ignored.


Psssttt......If you want to see the photos in full view then click on them!

Return to homepage